December 27, 2010
Promotion and development of Free Trade Zones has been declared of national interest by Uruguayan law. This policy aims to boost investments, exports, employment, and certainly, international economic integration.
As we all know, a FTZ in Uruguay entails among others:
- All national taxes exemption, including income tax, VAT, etc. either already in force or to be created in the future.
- Telecoms costs reduction due to the exclusion of state monopolies regulations.
- Payment of royalties, interests, technical services, and dividends made to foreign countries by free-tax zone users, not assessed by IRNR withholdings.
- Up to 25% foreigners allowed in staff, who are free to choose whether to make social security contributions (as Uruguayans do) or not.
- Goods’ entry and exit to the free-tax zone exempt of all taxes.